Are you considering getting an e-bike in Christchurch? Before you head down to your bike shop and pick out what looks best, there are a few things you need to know. Reading through this article and learning more about e-bikes will help you make an informed decision.
Buying a new bike of any kind is a decision that can positively affect your quality of life, so it’s a very important decision. Keep reading to learn more about:
- What E-Bikes Are And How They Differ From Traditional Bikes.
- What You Need To Look For As You Shop.
- Where To Go For Awesome Bikes And Accessories In Christchurch.
10 Things To Know Before You Purchase Your Very First E-Bike In Christchurch
E-bikes have plenty of incredible attributes that make them perfect for certain types of cyclists. However, if you’re used to traditional bikes, there are some things you need to know before you get your own.
You should know:
- The Difference Between Electric And Traditional Bicycles. The answer to this thought may seem obvious, but there are little details that you should know. Compared to traditional bikes ridden by the average cyclist, e-bikes tend to be quicker and require less energy. But, because they’re electronic, e-bikes have limited battery life.
- The Two Main Types Of E-Bikes. There are two main types of e-bikes you can buy in Christchurch – hub motor and mid-drive. The difference between the two are:
- Hub Motor: This category is transport-focused. These bikes go faster, have larger batteries and are typically more affordable. These bikes are usually targeted towards the general public rather than hardcore cycling enthusiasts.
- Mid-Drive: These e-bikes are more similar to traditional bikes than hub motor e-bikes in many ways. They are less focused on powering your ride for you.
- Know Why You Want An E-Bike. Like buying a traditional bike, you should know why you want an e-bike. Like conventional bikes, different e-bikes are better suited for different purposes and terrains. You should definitely ask your Christchurch bicycle shop’s staff for assistance when purchasing your first e-bike.
- Quality Is Always More Important Than Price. Remember this very important tip when buying any kind of bike: quality is more important than price! A good quality bike might cost more, but it’ll be far more reliable and enjoyable. If you choose the cheaper one purely because it’s cheaper, you’ll get a lesser-quality bicycle.
Cheaper bikes might end up costing more because you may need to pay more for repairs and maintenance.
- Check What Kind Of Spare Parts You Can Get. See what kind of spare parts or after-sale services you can get. It’s good to know what kind of extra services and replacement parts you can get in Christchurch before you purchase your e-bike. This way, if anything gets damaged, you’ll know you can get it fixed or replaced.
- Try Different Types Of Bikes. E-bikes aren’t all the same, and you might like one type more than the rest. Don’t be afraid to explore your options and see which fits you best.
- Get Good Brakes. Motorised bikes need brakes that have stopping power that matches their motors. Having adequate brakes is a good, safe choice. Good brakes are generally always a good thing to have, regardless of the type of bike you’re getting.
- Get A Bike With An Ideal Weight. Your bike’s weight should suit your weight and body size. People typically prefer lightweight bikes with suitable motors because lighter bikes are more easy to transport and store away.
- Go With Your Instinct. If you feel that an e-bike is right for you, go for it! You have so many e-bike options in Christchurch, and you should get one that speaks to you. Once you’re more informed about e-bikes and know what to look for, you should find one that’s comfortable and fits your riding style.
- Always Buy From A Reliable Seller. The quality of the bicycle shop you buy from is as important as the quality of your new bike itself. Only buy from a reliable shop that has good services and products. Their staff should treat you respectfully and help you if you need assistance.
When the shop you buy from is excellent and the employees care about what they do, you can have confidence knowing that you’re buying from fellow bicycle enthusiasts.
Where To Go For Some Of The Best E-Bikes In New Zealand
Action Bicycle Club is your go-to source for traditional bikes, e-bikes and fantastic bike accessories in Christchurch. Our collection of e-bikes is full of bicycles that look great and feel great to ride.
If you’d like some help finding an ideal e-bike, we encourage you to get in touch with our team. You can reach us at [email protected] and book your one-on-one personalised test ride experience. We look forward to talking with you and helping you find your first e-bike!
At Action Bicycle Club, we’re passionate about cycling and helping New Zealanders like you find bicycles that they love.